Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Curious Case of Pocket Knife


It is not that I am running out of idea to blog, but why blogging about this pocket knife. Please read on.

This knife was procured when I arrived on the first day in Yunan. I was deeply attracted by the vast choices of fruits sold by a hawker stationed near the hotel. "You can buy a pocket knife from that shop," said the fruit seller. The main usage was to peel mango skin. Since then, it has been playing hide and seek with me for few years. Oblivious of its presence in my suitcase, the knife had also unwittingly landed in New York.

Thinking that it might have of some use, I kept it in my hidden pocket. Again, I forgot about it again.
First Episode
As I was meeting someone from Malaysia at the Post Office, United Nations, the knife also had a free ride to this place.
In order to enter the UN, I had to remove my belt, jacket, coins, cellphones, camera and shoe. All these items were placed in the tray provided.
Strange enough, I could not clear the metal-detecting gate. One more try, it failed again. How could I be made of metal. It was at this crucial moment that I realised that the knife had been hibernating in my pocket.
Do you think it is an offence to bring along a knife to UN?
Could you imagine my fear as I could be branded as a terrorist or even worst, be arrested.
I had no choice but to hand over the knife to the security guard and kept my fingers cross. "Follow me this way," commanded the security personnel,"do you have any photo ID?"
"Satu Lapan Empat .......,"the security personnel read out my ID number. Wait a second, the white man could speak Malay. Suddenly, the atmosphere had become less tense and I started to strike a deeper conversation with him. "I worked in East Timur before,"said the security personnel, "...... you can collect your knife on your way out, just tap on this window."
It was a big relief that no action was taken against me.
Second Episode
It happened in the laundry shop.
After washing, the clothings were loaded into dryer. Half way through the drying process, metallic knocking sound was emitted from the dryer. Upon checking, it was caused by that pocket knife again. Thank goodness, the lady boss did not notice it.
Just wonder what kind of havoc this pocket knife will cause in future.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails