Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Porterhouse Steak, Peter Luger, New York City


Porterhouse steak is the so-called signature or flagship steak served at Peter Luger, New York City.

Despite many steak aficionados have written umpteen realms of reports on Peter Luger, on my part, I just like to contribute my 2-cents experience on this particular New York Institution, giving you a quick essence of the steak-eating crusade you might experience if you are willing to part your moolah.

There is also a review done by a Food "Doctor " in Singapore at his blog.


Peter Luger operates its business in two locations, so you either can go to the one at Brooklyn or Great Neck.

" I think the porterhouse at Brooklyn is better," I say casually.
Overheard my comment, the cashier says," No No No, the quality of porterhouse here is as good as the one you find in Brooklyn. The difference is only in location."

Are your brain already tingling with expectation to experience , possibly once in your lifetime, the porterhouse steak? Well, it may not be once in a lifetime if you stay, say, in New York City or you go to there so often like taking a bus.

Let me be your pictorial guide in this post.

With modern GPS technology, you brain does not need to triangulate the location in order to arrive here, it is besides the road. Very easy to find. They provide ample parking space. This is the entrance to car park.



Side view


Car Park - Oh ! They provide valet parking -Be prepared to proffer tips.


Decor - describe it yourself


Accolades earned
""The best meal of my entire life was at Peter Lugar's" - Johnny Carson"

I am somehow not very comfortable with this lamp, it hangs precariously from the ceiling.
I hope the hook is still strong!


Typical breads - soft, hard, medium soft / hard ...
Tips: If you can not finish the bread, you can ask for a doggy bag to go.


"Spinach, please," said the Popeye the sailer man.


Steak sauce
I wonder why Peter Luger says the sauce is fat free when the steak you consume is not fat-free?
Why ?


Finally - The "holy grail"
We order the porterhouse steak for two persons. But looking at the size, it is sufficient for 3 persons.

By the way, I forget to mention that the porterhouse steak has undergone aging process. See my another post at




"Sir, how do you like your steak prepared?"asks the maître d'
1. Medium rare
2. Medium
3. Well done
4. Rare
5. None of the above

Tips: Order Medium Rare.


If you pay US$109.12 ( not inclusive of tips ) and if the plate does not look like this, I suggest you can dine in many Peter Luger clones operated by ex-employees.


Mind you, Peter Luger does not accept credit card. They only accept cash or charge card. Don't get caught pants down if you don't have both. They give you change in the form of chocolate coins ( Really? ), check it yourself next time you are here.

TRUTH BE TOLD.

While dining at Peter Luger, I realise many customers do not actually order the porterhouse, they seem to go for the cheaper item such as ...... ( sorry, I forget the names ).

Will I revisit this restaurant ?
My answer can be affirmative yes and no.

Why?
If my answer is NAY.

Do I want to beguile myself?
At my age, many of my physiological functions are already degenerating. Can I honestly tell the difference between Peter Luger porterhouse or its clone. I don't think so.

If my answer is AYE.

Why not? You mean you don't need to eat.

Anywhere, to dine at Peter Luger is just like what the mountaineer says," I climb the mountain because it is there."

Paraphernalia- Memento



Gold Coins



Matchbox

Finally, look at my sister's expression - is it a confirmation that Peter Luger is the place to go for porterhouse ?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails