Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another Eatery in Johor Bahru that requires no Introduction


My first encounter with this eatery can be traced back to its very first location. It was New Hong Kong Restaurant's neighbour, fronting the seaside.

My favourite dish at that time was the low-cost steak. Occasionally, I would order kueh teow fried with beef, nothing fanciful. In actual fact, I could not afford an expensive meal on my meagre income. As I was considered a small customer to the boss, he had no cognizance of my existence.

I had no idea how long ago and also it was also none of my concern to know the reason why this eatery shifted to a 3-storey building, not very far from its previous location. This second location provided the eatery with ample parking space and there were very few to match its style of cooking, hence the business flourished.

It was not very long ago that the second location had to give way for development , hence, the eatery shifted to its present location.

The operator of this eatery has his own philosophy on how the foods should be ordered. He prioritises his own choices over the customers' desire. So, he has his own set of fatwa which actually irks some uncompromising customers.

The fatwa entails the followings:-

Don't ask the freshness of foods served

Don't go against his recommendations

Don't over order your foods

Don't parley about foods

Don't ask the price

.. Are there any more that the readers care to add?

This eatery is rather lucky in its choice of location in terms of availability of parking space. However, this new location poses some tricky route for first timer, even Johorian finds it difficult to get there. It is something like so near yet so far kind of déjà vu; you see it but you can't reach it.

Hitherto, I have not even mentioned the name of the eatery. But I am very sure that many readers would have known of this hardly undiscovered eatery that I am nagging about.


Now, I am showing you a quick glimpse of the front façade of eatery. How about the next one ?


The following dishes catered for four persons. We had not ordered any of the flag-ship dishes such as deep fried chicken and so on and so forth.

The menu for lunch.


Meehoon soup – slices of fish, lot of ginger, vegetable.


Fish head fried with yam.




Beancurd with prawn.


Gratis.


I do not want to recount the foods served here. Many food lovers can do a better job than me.

This eatery used to be a magnet for many food-lovers, somehow, its past glory seems to have tapered a bit judging from the crowds frequenting this place. Maybe some changes in the operator's disposition might galvanise the business. The boss's self-assurdness can curdle into snobbery which he did not realize.

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails